Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Teaching old parrots new tricks or teaching old pet owner new tricks.

Lucy, 5 years old

    I have 4 parrots.   They are spoiled and often act like spoiled children, throwing small tantrums when they don't get what they want and refusing to give me what I want... loving pets that interact joyfully with me and with my husband.

Timneh African Grey (Bobby) is 6 years old.  He's been with us from the "pre-feather" stage.  He knows a few tricks like, giving kisses, waving, turning around, flapping his wings, and the best... meowing when I ask him what a kitty says.  He has gone "phobic" on us and is frightened of everything.  He still does his tricks for treats.  He whistles, but doesn't talk.

Timneh African Grey (Gracie) is about 10 or 11.  She talks a little, makes awful squeaky sounds, bites men, and makes blowing your nose sound when you reach for a tissue.  She flaps her wings on command and gives kisses.  We adopted her about 18 months ago.  We adore Gracie.

Lucy (shown above) is a 5 year old Congo African Grey.  She whistles, talks, and (reluctantly) does the same tricks like wave, flap, kiss, turn around, (used to) sound like a chicken when you asked her to.  She is stubborn, smart, funny, and bites when she is frustrated... which is often if she doesn't get her own way.  She can whistle part of the Adams' Family tune, 76 trombones, the Marine Corps Hymn, and more I can't remember.  She talks a lot, but could really improve her interaction.  Her favorite word of late, "water."

Lastly, there is Coco.  He is a 6 year old lesser sulfur crested cockatoo that we adopted 4 years ago.  He says some small things, but has become very stubborn with age and sometimes refuses to step up.  He bit me the other day... and he bit his bird sitter that he loves.  He was upset and we both cried.  ):  It just isn't like Coco to be like that.  He doesn't want to eat anything except sunflower seeds and gets really grumpy when they aren't provided.

Bottom line:  My birds get the best cages, light, water (filtered) and best bird food.  They get out of their cages every day onto a huge stand I built.  I cook warm food for their breakfast and have given them loads of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds in addition to their "bird food."  The "bird food" usually ends up on the floor.  It's time my spoiled birdie-children went to school and learned some manners.  I've been weaning them off the "treats" and getting them used to "bird food" and fresh foods.  I've ordered some bird training guides and I've already started.  This blog is about the progress.

9/27/11  The Timnehs (TAG) both took well to target training.  I "loaded" the clicker with good vibrations by giving the bird a sunflower seen and simultaneously clicking the clicker.  The morning lesson included only this:  Treat/click.... treat/click.... treat click.   In the afternoon, I added a little wooden stick.  The TAGs easily, curiously, touched the stick.  When they did, CLICK, and they got a seed.  Three seeds and they were veterans!  Coco refused the sunflower seed all morning.  He was hungry, but refused to take it.  (He is like that!)  Lucy (CAG) got mad, grabbed the seed and threw it on the floor.  I walked away and continued training on the TAGs.

9/28/11  The TAG's both consider themselves veteran target trainees!  :D  Although Bobby is scared of his own shadow, he seems to understand touch-the-stick-get-a-seed quite well.  I stretch him a little bit by having him outside of his cage and he did target/treat 3 times before freaking out... at which point, I just let him alone.  BREAKTHROUGH with Lucy this afternoon.  She allowed me to present-the-seed with a click in her cage this morning without throwing a tantrum, so I put her on the bird stand and UPPED the anti on the treat.  PEANUT BUTTER on a spoon!  OMG!  First I did treat/click at the same time a couple of times and then I present the stick.  She daintily reached out with that big beak and only just touched the stick (she broke on end yesterday!) and then got her peanut butter bite.  We repeated this 5 or 6 times.  She is so darn smart and so darn stubborn!  She knew exactly what I wanted.  COCO is holding out.  He's drowning "bird food" and trying to get filled up.  I know he wants a sunflower seed... but he twists his head away from my hand and refuses to take it.  I have yet to give him a seed with a click... I won't give up.  Cockatoos are ultra smart.  Tomorrow is a new day.

Ordered training materials.  Must set aside an hour or so every day just for training.  This is gonna be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment