Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hormones emerging... >;

I've noticed that all of the birds are having spurts of hormones... just "spurts," but never the less, making life less peaceful.

Bobby (TAG) is in heightened-fright mode and training is limited because he drops the seed.  He's too scared to do his stuff right, and then acts so desperate.  For now, minimal training every day followed by a portion of seeds to munch on, for the pacifier effect.

Gracie (TAG) is panting and wagging her wings for attention and is a bit distracted.  She's doing her stuff for treats, but almost bit me when I went to replace her into her cage. Gracie bit me lightly ONCE just before she came to live with me.  She bites everyone else, but has always respected me.

Coco refused to train despite going all day without his favorite sunflower seeds.  He is madly chewing boxes to shreds.  He did step up and got a seed ball this morning.  He got  6 sunflower seeds "free" in the cup.  He needs a "primer" sometimes to get him started on the bird food.

Lucy, yesterday, bent her head for a scratch (yes!  She's learned to trust me from the training!) and then lifted a foot to step up...  retracted her foot and bet down and bit my finger!!!  It wasn't a big bite, but just a little one, but it hurt and drew blood.  She got returned to her cage, placed gently on the floor of her cage, and didn't hear from me for a little bit.  (Grrrr!)

... I've started to introduce "shaking the head NO!" with the two girls, but just barely.  We manage to get through every other trick we've conquered, but just barely.  It's hard not to just feel discouraged, but then I have to remember that hormones are natural and will diminish over time until everyone is happy and pleasant again.

Now, I am giving the 3 greys juice (Coco hates it) to get some fruit in them.  They've all decided fruit and veg are not good.  I give Coco papaya squares for his fruit.  The greys throw that stuff on the floor.  I fixed some nice canned salmon (wild caught) and all the birds liked it AND the dog. 

We will continue to train and play every night for as long as hormonal birds can hold their attention.  I shall not get discouraged!!!  Hahaha!  These birds can live very long lives and giving up is just not an option even if they are spoiled rotten and grumpy!

Happy Valentine's Day next month.  Hopefully, these guys will be "over it" by then.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment