Saturday, November 12, 2011

Chugging right along...

It's funny how the birds are reacting to the training and training menu.  (:    We haven't done new stuff because mama was gone for a week and then sick.  However, we have continued training every day.  The diet of bird-kibble and wet-bowl in the morning (fruits,vegetables, and sometimes scrambled eggs) continues.  AMAZINGLY, all 4 birds are more interested in their healthy food now that I'm not stuffing them with treats all day long.  In addition, it is so much easier on me!  ALSO, all of the birds run to their breakfast bowls now instead of looking at them like they were filled with dog-food.  Makes me happier and them, I think!

We continue to shower the birds, one a day, throughout the week.

Lucy (CAG) is happy and glad to do stuff to get treats, seeds, nuts, and praise.   She doesn't exhibit the impatience she did at the beginning.  "Mama touch" is getting better and better.  It's still hard for her, but now I make her "not pull away" in order to get the treat. 

Graice (TAG-11) is a pill and cute as a button!  She has learned to make an exact copy of the clicker sounds.  Hard not to laugh.  She's doing turn around quickly now and "mama touch" is (every time) easy for her.

Bobby is still a basket case.  I started having him step up (that has improved as long as he's inside his cage) and then I draw him to me and count to ten before I click, return him to the perch, and give him a treat.  In the beginning, he was too nervous to even step up with both feet!!!  (I've started counting to 10 by counting very slowly sometimes, stretching out his time of self-control, ie non-panic!)

Coco, the spoiled one:  He has never bitten me again and doesn't show any aggression toward the chop stick anymore.  He won't step up in the morning without a treat (husband says he's not a morning-person-bird) and refuses to step out almost all day long...without treating him.  I go in, offer my hand, and when he refuses I simply withdraw.  Occasionally he will step up and when he does, he gets to come to the living room, sit in the window perch, and eat a nutriberry seed ball.  He's a space-case-cockatoo about turn around, loves "mama touch," and we have gotten him to (more than accidentally) say "hello" in response to my "hello!" 

Conclusion of training so far:

-Aggression has disappeared from Coco.
-Lucy is improving steadily in her trust of the touch. 
-Bobby understands that "10" means he gets a treat. 
-Gracie is blossoming and eats almost as much bird food as she throws down to the floor.

New update next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment