Monday, December 12, 2011

"Hello" saga standoff with Lucy!

Lucy is saying "hello" all the time when I'm out of the room.  We have her "answering" hello as long as we are outside of the room.  When I go into the room and say "hello," it appears that she knows that I want her to answer with her own "hello" while I'm in the room... but she just can't make herself do it!

Lucy's agitation is palpable when I offer a pistachio, say hello and wait for her response while I'm standing in front of her cage.  She "walks" the top of her cage all-round and chips away at wooden toys... but won't answer "hello" in my presence.

Worried that the bird might be simply frustrated and not learning, I have done the routine for days without being inside the room...so she knows what is expected.  And, when I've done the training in the room with the other birds, I just ignore the lack of response and (in short order) turn around and ask her to do something I know she will do for a lesser nut, ie sunflower seed.

The past two days, I offer the nut and hello... wait a count of 10, say goodbye and walk out of the room.  She says "hello" many MANY times after I leave, but I ignore her for a while and then go in and repeat the process.  She is (hilariously) saying hello using different accents and voices from my normal and funny voices to my husband's voice.

I feel that if we get her to respond while I am inside the room, we will have managed a breakthrough.  Until then, I'm doomed to hear "hello" over and over again as soon as I leave the room.  /:

Oh, Coco got grumpy and feigned a  bite during training last night.  I terminated training and ignored the behavior.  He has lots of pin feathers and is grumpy.  This morning, he was anxious to please me.  Timnehs are doing just fine and Bobby, maybe a little improved.


No comments:

Post a Comment